Friday, July 08, 2005

New addition to the list: Hazaar Khwahishein Aisi

As is evident, the list I am talking about above is a list of films. To be specific, it is a list of hindi movies I would very comfortably recommend (with suitable subtitles of course) to my international friends.....and my spread of friends does cover all the continents except Antartica and Africa. No Kidding. This list is very short and I don't even know it by heart myself. But it includes, Monsoon Wedding, Dil Chaahta hai, Sholay, Satya, Jewel Thief,.... some others I can't remember :-) and now Hazaron Khwahishein Aisi.
I am not a film expert. I cannot comment on the superb screenplay, catchy music, haunting background score, great direction etc. etc. So I have developed a very simple criterion to judge films. If I can sit through a film without once feeling that I shud press the forward button on the VCR to skip the stupid song or get the irritating comedian out of my face or just without any explainable reason, the film is good (I remember there was a film which I had 'watched' in 20 mins.... I think it was Hawas). By this standard, 'Hazaar....' is a very good film. I just finished watching it and am writing this blog. Bollywood really must start making more movies like this. The last two movies I have seen, this one and 'Parineeta' were both approximately 2 hrs. This is another good thing happening to Bollywood. They shud really ruthlessly cut the crap from films and stick to the story. You may have read many recommendations from experts, here is one from a common man. WATCH IT. Here's wishing for more films like these.