Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Inscrutable Indians

Parth recently published a very funny blog about an incident involving a new desi guy in the US. I had suggested we start a list of such experiences. Maybe we could publish them as a book. :-) So here is a list of funny things that happened to me and some acquaintances in the US.

1. Crossing Over: A friend new to the US was standing at the signal waiting to cross. When the walk signal flashed on, he started to cross the road. When he reached the middle of the road, the 'hand' started flashing. The guy panicked and ran back to the end he started from. He waited for another walk signal to come on and this time he ran across the street before the hand could start flashing again.

2. McDs Woes: This is a conversation between a New Desi Guy (NDG) and a McDs Employee(ME). The NDG has ordered his meal and the ME asks:
ME: Here or To Go.
NDG: Excuse me.
ME: Here or To Go.
NDG: Excuse me.
ME: Here or To Go.
NDG: Excuse me.
ME: (Exasperated and talking slowly)Here or To Go.
NDG: (Catching only the last part)Why should I go? I am paying for the meal!

3. Dr. Bakwaas: Our Department had thrown a reception for new students and I attended. There were pizza and drinks. Sadly, I was new to the US and wanted to be adventurous. I picked a can which said Dr. Pepper on it. I think the Dept Secy noticed the expression on my face as I went to throw the can away. I don't think the dept serves Dr. Pepper at such events any more. :-)

4. Post it!!!: This is a conversation between me (AD) and a Dept Secy (DS).
AD: Can you please do me a favor? I want you to post these documents to so-and-so Professor at so-and-so address.
DS: (Confused) ummm..... So you want me to MAIL them or FAX them?

Feel free to contribute your stories either on your blogs or you can send them to me and I will add them here with the proper credits.