Monday, August 16, 2004

Sea-side musings

As a person born and brought up in Mumbai, I have always had a special relationship with beaches. To add to that, me and my closest friends have spent countless evenings at a place called Rock Beach in Andheri, Mumbai. We used to walk along the sea shore or just sit on the large rocks there (which give it the name). We used to talk about various things like girls, our studies, our future etc. Though it didn't seem like that at the time, those were some of the most care-free days of my life.
Unfortunately, after coming to the US, I have had very few chances of going to a beach and I certainly missed my companions. Yesterday, however, I visited Corpus Christi and had the chance to spend some time on a beach. The sea water here was much cleaner but it nevertheless brought flooding back, my memories of Rock Beach. I wondered if it would ever be possible for me to be have a care-free, worry-free life again, to spend idyllic evenings with friends discussing trivial things which seem very important at that point of time. The sea, obligingly, provided me with the answer to my question. As I stood there gazing into the infinitude of the Atlantic ocean, the waves crashed against my feet and washed away the sand beneath them. It created the familiar feeling of floating backwards, away from the water. I realized that just to stay where I was, I am going to have to move forward.